Old 24-12-2003, 08:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Are pine needles poison to fish?

And the decomposing will turn the water tea color. Unless the Kh is
unusually high, it will make the water acidic, imo. In man-made but large
ponds (with water coming in and flowing out from the river) locally, they
use old christmas trees for the reasons Lee described. ~ jan

Hench, the decomposing might not be so good for the fish?? I wonder if the
pine needles might make the water more acidic??

Tim..

"Lee B." wrote in message
I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. It's pretty common in the
spring to toss in branches for spawning media, and the skeletons of
Christmas trees make a nice place for fry to hide. But - unless it's a
natural pond - it will make an AWFUL mess as it decomposes.

Lee

"Jim Bunton" wrote in message
m...
I have a friend who has a large pond. He would like to sink several
Christmas trees in the pond for structure. The question came up would
the fish nibble the needles and if so are they toxic? Any info would
be a great help.

Thank You Jim Bunton

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~