Old 24-12-2003, 10:42 AM
Mike

Default Data protection Act

"David Hill" wrote in message
I wonder how many URGlers are aware that in re posting other peoples email
addresses as part of a post/message like the following example is actually
an offence under the data protection act.

As others have pointed out, you are I am afraid incorrect

The Data Protection Act is very 'wooly' and has more holes in it than a worn
out cardigan,

BUT

There are elements in it which could prove to be very costly if a person is
sued under the Act, 'if' it stuck, that is why people are very wary of it.

I have 1000's and 1000's of names and addresses of those who have served in
the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force. I have them on card index, file index
and computer, but have NOT had to register with the Data Protection Act
because of how they are accessable and how they are used. However when
someone tried to sell some of the Association Secretaries names and
addresses which I made available to selected people for their personal
benefit, I consulted the Trading Standards Officer and had a long discussion
and received a book and video on the subject. As a result of the meeting, I
sent a warning to the prospective seller and he ceased his activity. I now
put the following advice whenever I list Association Names and Addresses:

DATA PROTECTION ACT
These names and addresses are for the use of the Associations, their members
and prospective members. They are not to be copied in any way shape or form,
listed, sold, used, delivered, made available or marketed by a third person
for any reason whatsoever. R.N. Shipmates has not, does not, and will not
give permission for any use other than the direct use of Association
Members, Secretaries or prospective members as detailed above.
Prosecution of the 'collector', 'seller' and 'end user' may arise by
contravening this warning

Please take note of the final bit, 'end user'. YOU can be prosecuted if you
buy a list which is compiled for non commercial benefit, as all of my lists
are.

Getting back to the business of email addresses. No problem here as there is
very little 'information' on the person and you cannot extract a list of,
for example, those in a certain age range, or those who have a certain
qualification. I am not able to press a button on the computer and have a
listing of all those RAF National Servicemen who served between 1947 and
1955. I can find them, but not by the press of a button.

I hope that throws a little light on the Data Protection Act. If anyone
wants to go deeper into it, I suggest that you contact the Data Protection
Department of your local Council and in view of the recent publicity, stand
by for confussion :-((

Mike