Old 24-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Lynda LeCompte

Default Squirrels - the good, the bad and the ugly

I know this isn't strictly a garden issue, but they do dance around the
trees, so...

Here's the good... We have really enjoyed watching the squirrels chase each
other around the garden, up and down the trees, across the wires and
generally provide much entertainment for me, hubby and my 4yo son.

Here's the bad... A few mornings ago, we were woken at stupid o'clock (i.e.
middle of the night) by the sound of shinnanigans in the attic, right above
our heads in the bedroom. I commented that there must be animals in the
attic, it went quiet and we went back to sleep. Well, this has happened
every night/morning since and we've been getting a bit tired of being woken
up.

We figured it must be squirrels as there are so many of them around here.
And now here's the ugly... hubby came home from work yesterday with critter
poison. Being the soppy mush that I am, I got a bit upset at the thought of
poisoning the squirrels :-( But, needs must.

He investigated first and saw no signs of anything and distributed the
poison as necessary. I did some searching around the net and gather that
squirrels are a pest and saw much info on the methods of getting rid of
them. The one that got my attention was mixing the poison with peanut
butter. Seems so cruel, but I guess that's life out here in the Texas
country. I guess it's no more cruel that pouring kettles of boiling water
on the fire ants... don't tell PETA, they would have a field day!

Here's hoping for a quiet Christmas day morning...
--
Lynda