Old 24-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Water "Wicking" as a safety measure while on vacation - quick res ponse PLEASE

Jeff:
I used the wicking system about 10 years ago on a long trip. I brought
the cotton string through the bottom of ther drain hole. I used a half
gallon plastic bottles, since in a test the glass was emptied in several
days... ( I was going to be away longer.). It worked quite well.

You might conside putting the small plants in an enclosed container.
(water them real well first) I take an old metal milk carton and tape
clear plastic on all sides and bottom. I created a flap of plastic,
which I reinforced with duck tape and then keep it closed with a bungee
cord.... I also use this set-up as an ICU when I have a tree that needs
special care.

Have a good trip....

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Isom, Jeff (EM, PTL) wrote:

I have a number of tropical and sub-tropical trees under lights in my
basement. I also have a misting system set up on a timer to water them
while I am away over the holidays. The problem (or at least potential
problem) is that I have a couple of Mame' trees and a couple of new cuttings
that are too small for an individual mister. I have grouped them together
and have a mister over the group. I am still a little worried, because with
the fan and lights they tend to dry out quicker than the other things. I
have read about "wicking" water from a container to the plant. I have set
up a couple of glasses of water and run a piece of cotton string from the
water to circle the inside of the pot. Is this all there is to it or am I
missing something?

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++