Old 24-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Beech tree on the gallery

Although the layering process might give good nebari
for fagus, this is not true of all species. It has
taken me 10 years to begin to get a good nebari on a
Japanese maple airlayer and more for elms. The
difference between the bark and the root covering
stays very obvious on the elm, even when the roots
begin to mature.

Kitsune Miko

--- "David J. Bockman" wrote:
Hi Jeff,

The layering process will automatically give a great
deal of flair to the
root bole because of the swelling involved-- I'm
sure you know beech have a
powerful callousing response to wounding. Add to
that the shallow growbox
method of directing surface roots laterally along
with Fagus' natural strong
tendency to build a mass of fused roots right at the
surface, plus the
obvious great age of the tree (that kind of
ramification in unbelievable!)
and I think we have our tree.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++