Old 24-12-2003, 04:45 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Data protection Act

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

The Data Protection Act is very 'wooly' and has more holes in it than a worn
out cardigan,

Have you thought - the more worn-out a cardi is the fewer holes there
are in it?

(Old fisherman's joke - which is the better net, one with more holes in
it or the one with less?)

BUT

There are elements in it which could prove to be very costly if a person is
sued under the Act, 'if' it stuck, that is why people are very wary of it.

I think this is criminal law, not civil, so I don't think you can be
sued under the Act, you would be prosecuted. If I'm right in my guess,
this is a pity, because in the case of the last two examples aired in
the media a judge in a civil court could have, in the event the court
found against Humberside Police or the ? Gas Board, have given an
absolute discharge or awarded peppercorn damages to the plaintiff.

As it is, a criminal record could be awarded as thanks for someone's
common sense.

/snip of excellent stuff/

I hope that throws a little light on the Data Protection Act. If anyone
wants to go deeper into it, I suggest that you contact the Data Protection
Department of your local Council and in view of the recent publicity, stand
by for confussion :-((

Hmmm. You should have posted the above before nine this morning. Still,
my bit of wished-for legislation will be sent to Today programme a bit
late....

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)