Old 24-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Quotation marks

The message
from (Philip) contains these words:

Laptop?

Yes please.

But seriously that's not really feasible either.

With the threat of viruses and other nasty things most employers do
not permit the use of '3rd party' computers on their networks. For
most businesses the risk from foreign PC's is not the ingress of
viruses but rather the invalidation of their business continuity
insurance.

I have no connection with any firm which uses a network. Largely, I work
from home, but if I do a bit of 'outwork' it is with another hi-fi
supplier and I can connect to his phone line (using the 0800 number, he
doesn't squeak too much!)

Just as an aside, the only virus in an uncompressed form of any sort
I've ever had on any of my computers in around eight years online I
found as an attachment to a post in rec.audio.high-end (shows how long
ago *THAT* was!). It was a Trojan, and I downloaded it so I could
dissect it.

Since I was using Win 3.11 at the time I knew it couldn't run even if it
was double-poked as it was aimed at Win 95 and OE users.

My mail and news program downloads compressed packets of mail and news,
which is processed offline. Any attachments have to be decoded before
they can be inspected, and are sent to another directory, and you have
to physically run them (if you want to).

So, you have to be incredibly gullible to contract a virus using ZIMACS.
I was collecting more than thirty Swens a day before Zetnet began
swatting them on the server. I can open any mail containing a virus
without running it.

Now, how I wish the Zetgods would turn their attention to aphids......

--
Rusty Hinge

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)