Old 26-12-2003, 03:02 AM
Djay

Default DIY CO2?

I ran DIY CO2 in a 37 gal tank for a year with good success. Only problem
with DIY CO2 is that is is nearly impossible to regulate. But it works
well. I personally used the 64 oz plastic juice containers that have the
screw on lid. Take the lid off and drill a hole in the top that is rougly
1/2 to 2/3 the diameter of the airline tubing. Cut a severe angle on the
airline tubing so it is pointy and push/pull the pointy end through the cap
until it's in about an inch. The airline, at the point where it goes
through the cap should be pinched pretty good, but you should be able to
blow air through the tubing.

Then mix up your sugar with very warm water until the jug is about 2 inches
from the top. Add the yeast and shake again. I let it rest a day before
hooking it up to the aquarium. When I would change out the jugs, I'd have
one ready to go from the night before, then uscrew the cap and remove the
old jug, and then replace it with the new batch. Just keep a couple of
juice jugs lying around.

I used a cup of sugar, Warm water and about 3/8 of a teaspoon of yeast. The
brew would last about 10-14 days.

YMMV,

DJay
"Sam" wrote in message
on www.aquarticles.com in the plants section there are several articles on
methods and quantities of sugar and yeast for a co2 reactor. i personally
use 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp. yeast and enough water to fill the bottle 2/3

of
the way up in a 2 litre soda bottle. in the cap of the soda bottle, i
drilled a hole, inserted airline tubing, siliconed it to seal, put an
airstone on the other end and put it in the aquarium. it is bubbling

within
a couple hours. i usually replace it or add more sugar every 1-2 weeks.

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...
I have a 13 gallon with 15 W of lighting and light to medium planting. I

am
hoping to increase this to medium to heavy. I have heard that using CO2

will
help the plants. I was thinking somethng along the lines of yeast/sugar

in
lemonade bottles method.

Yeast/sugar/water bottle ===(CO2)=== primary backwash/emergency spill

bottle
===(CO2)=== secondary backwash/emergency spill bottle ===(CO2)===

Aquarium.

Anyone got a recipe, such as ratios of yeast : sugar : water? Or other

ideas
and suggestions?

Comments appreciated,

Marcus