Old 26-12-2003, 03:02 AM
Eric Schreiber

Default DIY CO2?

"Marcus Fox" wrote:

Yeast/sugar/water bottle ===(CO2)=== primary backwash/emergency spill bottle
===(CO2)=== secondary backwash/emergency spill bottle ===(CO2)=== Aquarium.
Anyone got a recipe, such as ratios of yeast : sugar : water? Or other ideas
and suggestions?

When I was using CO2 (my plants are doing very well without it now) I
used a pair of two-liter pop bottles hooked together with a
T-connector, with a check valve between the bottles and the tank. I
think two backwash bottles may be overkill, but on the other hand it
won't hurt anything. My check valve saved me once or twice, so *some*
form of protection is a good idea.

I used two bottles so that I could change one each week, keeping (in
theory) a more consistent CO2 flow going.

The recipe I used was 1/2 bottle of warm water, 1.5 cups of sugar, and
one teaspoon of Red Star yeast. I used the Flieschmanns (blew the
spelling on that one!), but I found that Red Star worked a lot better.

--
www.ericschreiber.com