Old 26-12-2003, 06:02 AM
C.S.

Default DIY CO2?

Eric Schreiber wrote in message . ..
"Marcus Fox" wrote:

Yeast/sugar/water bottle ===(CO2)=== primary backwash/emergency spill bottle
===(CO2)=== secondary backwash/emergency spill bottle ===(CO2)=== Aquarium.
Anyone got a recipe, such as ratios of yeast : sugar : water? Or other ideas
and suggestions?

When I was using CO2 (my plants are doing very well without it now) I
used a pair of two-liter pop bottles hooked together with a
T-connector, with a check valve between the bottles and the tank. I
think two backwash bottles may be overkill, but on the other hand it
won't hurt anything. My check valve saved me once or twice, so *some*
form of protection is a good idea.

I used two bottles so that I could change one each week, keeping (in
theory) a more consistent CO2 flow going.

The recipe I used was 1/2 bottle of warm water, 1.5 cups of sugar, and
one teaspoon of Red Star yeast. I used the Flieschmanns (blew the
spelling on that one!), but I found that Red Star worked a lot better.

I use two plastic bottles and change one every week for a more
consistant system. My recipe is 2 cups sugar, 1/2 pack regular yeast,
warm water, stir in a jug then pour into bottle. Top up with more
water to fill bottle 2/3. The hoses come up up from the bottles and
into the bottom of a film canister (drill smaller holes) then drill
another hole in the cap of the canister and insert one end of airline
tubing. The other end goes into the water. Works AMAZING!