Old 26-12-2003, 10:32 AM
Tumbleweed

Default Data protection Act

"John Rouse" wrote in message
In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Peter Crosland
writes

I am not sure if you are joking here but in my experience public bodies
frequently cite the DPA as an excuse for all sorts of things without

having
any real understanding of the rules.

As we've seen only too clearly in the last couple of weeks, with first
Soham and then British gas.

I can see no good reason why British Gas should keep the age of their
customers on record.

Neither can I see why the police should keep every unsubstantiated
rumour about someone on file for evermore. Even less so when they have
been cleared of the crime.

....when someone has been cleared of 10 or 20 'unsubstantiated' rumours from
10 or 20 different and unconnected people, maybe there is a reason?

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)