Old 26-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default And flowering in the Christmas Day garden........?

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

What has everyone found in their garden just now? We have Fuchsias, a
Cestrum, Rhododendron, Hydrangea (new flowers, not just hanging on types)
Sarcococca, one lonely violet, Iris reticulata, Pulmonaria, mimosa just
about to burst forth, Chaenomeles, comfrey, Daphne bholua, Mahonias,
Nerines, and Lonicera (2 sorts)

Hydrangeas (hanging-on oldies), mahonia, schizostylus, hebes, rose,
escallonia. Most surprising of all is fascicularia bicolor which
unexpectedly came into flower while we were on holiday last week. Each
rosette of spikey grey leaves has a centre of bright scarlet leaves; in
the middle of the scarlet is a flat blue flower head 2" across, with
gold bits. It looks like an artificial Christmas decoration :-) The
plant in flower is roughing it out in the (sodden) garden beside a
sheltering rock; one which I cosset in a large pot under the porch in a
sunny dry frost free place has no flowers or scarlet leaves.

A pot of phormium seeds is germinating in the cold frame, and
montbretia and watsonias in the garden are putting up new leaves..it
might be Spring, folks.

Janet.