Old 26-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Heidi

Default saffron looks like chives--did I get sent the wrong bulbs???

Hi all,

This fall I was sent a shipment of saffron crocus bulbs. I planted the
bulbs, and after a very warm fall, it appears as though the bulbs are
starting to bloom. Here is the thing, the blooms look like chives.
They are long, green, thin, tubular blades. If you pull them up they
have what looks like an onion bulb on the bottom.

I don't think that chives made it's way to this area of my garden. I
planted the bulbs in two different areas, with no chives (or any other
plants) around it. It would be too coincidental for patches of chives
to have sprouted in both areas exactly where I had planted my bulbs.

Any chance saffron crocus bulbs look like chives, and bloom chive like
blades before flowering?

Of did the mail order company send me a very expensive set of
chives???? (White Flower Farm BTW).

TIA,
Heidi
Raleigh, NC