Old 27-12-2003, 01:08 PM
seven

Default violas and pansies

"K" wrote in message

"seven" wrote in message
:
: I have been very surprised at the length of the flowering as all the

other
: plants in my garden had stopped flowering months ago.
:
: I just hope the fuchsia I have starts looking better in the spring as it
: doesn't look too good just now out in the garden, but I really loved it
when
: it was in flower a few months ago. Thankfully I was advised by someone

in
: this group to take cuttings, which I did, and they seem to be doing

well,
so
: if the original doesn't survive the winter I should have some cuttings

: plant up in the spring.
:
: Gardening is all about learning I suppose and I am having fun doing so
)
:
Violas and pansies are lovely aren't they and they come in so many

different
shades and colour combinations and they do flower for such a long time.

I bought some winter pansies by mail order this year as mini plug plants

and
potted them all up on arrival in individual small pots, but although they
have survived they haven't even developed a root system, let alone

flowered.
I have since read that they can be hard to get and are not really worth
bothering with, so I shan't try again and will buy them already in flower.
I believe the winter ones are the same as the summer ones anyway, but
someone may correct me here. In a mild winter in my part of the country

(SW
London) the summer ones will survive until the following year, as will
petunias, but they are never as good and get a bit straggly. If you've

got
the time with pansies (and petunias) it helps to take off the flowers

before
they go to seed, and the will continue to flower well.

It was very good advice to take cuttings from your fuchsia as, unless it

is
a hardy variety, it will not survive frosts. The hardy ones are usually

the
ones you see as quite big bushes. I don't know which part of the country
you are in, but you see lots in Devon and Cornwall and many are grown as
hedges in that part of the UK. I have two different ones in my garden and
cut them down quite hard in the spring so that they keep a good shape and
don't take over my tiny front garden.

Polyanthus are another good winter flower which will survive from year to
year here, but they gradually flower less, and after a few years it is

worth
replacing them, in my opinion.

Sorry I've gone on a bit, but hope this is of some help to a new gardener.

I have round most of the people on this ng to be of help to me, thank you al
for your advice.

I am in Aberdeenshire btw.

One more thing, I think I have some petunias in my garden, are they very
similar to the pansy? If so it is probably them that I got as a gift from a
member of family in the summer time, I actually got them in a hanging basket
style arrangement, and they have seeded everywhere in the garden.

Very pretty flowers )