Old 27-12-2003, 02:45 PM
Gene Royer

Default Hedgehog Gourd/Osage Orange

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
Gene Royer schreef
What are the botanical dynamics of that wood that make it so unspeakably

incorrigible?

+ + +
Surely that is pretty simple.
The wood is selected (Natural Selection) to do the job of keeping up the
branches against animal enchroachments for the longest time. If a tree is
only fast growing all the wood needs to do is lift the leafs to the sun as
high as possible, quicker than the competition, and the wood will be

pretty
straight and stressfree (think balsa). If a tree is out there for the
longest time and has to stand up to whatnot it will have all the scars and
tensions of its unrecorded history.
PvR

That is neither pretty nor simple, and I appreciate your indulgence.
However, Iris's direct explanation melds with my limited knowledge and
answers my question.

My understanding of botany is limited to my burpless cucumber crop each
year--urged on by the steer manure I use to encourage its success.

--Genoplanting seeds of goodness in God's garden of graceRoyer