Old 27-12-2003, 06:13 PM

Default OT ~ Mad Moo Cow in SE WA

There is good reason to be cautious Jan. Prions (infectious proteins) have been
shown to infect muscles like the tongue thru the nervous tissue
(http://www.nature.com/nsu/021230/021230-5.html). Muscles are loaded with nerves.
But more important is what is NOT KNOWN. For instance, a meat packer in England got
the human form of BSE even tho he was a vegetarian. They think it was from handling
the meat.
Most puzzling of all is the epidemic of "mad deer" in Wisconsin and other states.
Evidently wild game farms were allowed to feed recycled meat products to their game
farm deer. These deer jumped the fence and mixed with the wild deer population and
it spread. SPREAD???!!!! nobody seems to have a handle on how it spread from deer
to deer in the wild, altho wild deer could have been jumping into the farm and eating
contaminated feed. We do know prion disease has been present in wild Elk for a long
time.
http://www.wisc.edu/foodsafety/consu...sheets/BSE.htm
suggests that prions can be spread by blood. And you are correct, normal cooking
temps dont kill it, nor does freezing. Ingrid

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

We've been getting some interesting info in our local paper regarding new
machinery called Advance Meat Recovery Systems. This scrapes meat off very
close to the bone and supposedly can pick up some brain or spinal column
tissue where the prions of (BSE) Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy hangs
out. True, it's not in the muscle meat, but hamburger is definitely suspect
w/hot dogs being more so. Heat doesn't kill it.... at least not the heat
temps we cook at.

They say the risk is low, but who wants to be that or 1 person? I'm not
scared enough to toss the meat I have in the freezer purchased prior to
Daisy going thru the system, but I'm not eating it, or any beef, till I get
more answers. ~ jan

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:54:19 -0600, "Tom La Bron" wrote:

Of course, you must know that the majority of this scare is media driven.
Mad Cow Disease (MCD) is transmitted trough nerve tissue and unless you are
eating raw meat you won't get MCD. Plus there are no known cases of anyone,
I repeat, anyone getting MCD from Muscle tissue, like hamburger, steaks,
etc.

Now if you are into eating Cow Brains in your scramble eggs then you may be
at risk.

Tom L.L.
"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
. ..
Yup, and jj was in the now infamous Moses Lake, her home town, for
Christmas.

The internet is so nice though, I was able to go right to a website with
the phone #s of the meat company. They where very nice and I found out

that
Death Daisy isn't in any of the hamburger-in-a-tube that I purchased.
Though I do worry that Daisy might have gone thru the grinder just before
my burger did, so one pack that is dated well after her demise is gonna

get
tossed. As always though, it appears our industry needs to do more to

clean
up its act, according to news articles coming out.

Everyone might want to consider buying their beef and freezing it for a
month before consuming since it took 10 days for them to notify consumers
after slaughter. We yet to be given information on how long it takes from
slaughter to the dinner table. Perhaps someone here knows? ~ jan

On 25 Dec 2003 20:17:57 GMT, EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote:
Well, drat!
Here SE WA is in the news and not a happy
story. The Mad Moo Cow came from a farm
not too far from where jj and k30a live.
And it looks like both jj and k30a had ground
beef from the plant that processed the poor
cow. All ground meat is off the shelves at
our stores, part of the recall.
Not that we're all that worried from what
we've been reading but sheesh!
What a way to waltz into Christmas!
And here I was teasing my CA brother about
his free range turkey at Thanksgiving! ;-)

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~