Old 27-12-2003, 07:48 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Cold question

Running water exposed to cool air will cool down faster and therefore be
colder sooner than a still pond. At your temps I don't think you need to
worry. If he has a bio-filter connected to the fountain he is better off
letting it run 24/7. He needs to get a thermometer for his pond and learn
by experience how his pond is affected by the micro-climate around him.
~ jan

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:33:02 -0700, Gabrielle wrote:

I have a young friend who just bought a house with a small pond -- he
ignored it at first and then got porged. I give him some rosy reds and
he bought a dozen feeder GF. Now he's worried about their winter
comfort. We're in southern Arizona so they won't get too cold, but he's
still concerned.

Someone told him that running water is warmer than still water, so he's
been running his waterfall 24-7. This doesn't sound right to me, I think
running water is cooler. I've googled and asked Jeeves, but haven't come
up with a quick answer.

I think he'd be fine leaving it off at night, which is what he'd like to
do, especially since he does have a bubbler running separately.

Comments?

Gabrielle
in sunny Arizona where the air is 51F and the water is 49F.

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website