Old 27-12-2003, 10:45 PM
Myrmecodia

Default Plastic in clay, Bad?

"The Enigma" wrote in message r.com...
I live in North Carolina, in the middle. So not in mountians or coast.
So how do I know whether to use lava rock or moss? and clay or plastic? Or
should I just do exactly what you gave as an example?

If you are growing indoors (windowsill, under lights, etc), I would
suggest using plastic pots. In winter, the humidity can drop to
around 30%, and clay pots just dry out too fast. Use a fairly coarse
bark mix (any commercial mix from Lowes or Home Despot is fine).
Water once or twice a week. You can monitor the moisture content of
the pot by the weight change as it dries out. You can also hold the
pot up and examine the drainage holes for water standing at the bottom
of the pot. If you see moisture, don't water.

Putting the plastic pot inside a clay pot is a good idea for top-heavy
plants.

In summer, you can put the plants outside in dappled shade. They will
love the rain and humidity of the North Carolina summer.

Nick (in Chapel Hill)
--
myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com