Old 28-12-2003, 04:14 AM
B & J

Default hardy cyclamen surroundings

"paghat" wrote in message
news snip
There are many
leaf-varients too, & differing shades of blooms from white to deep
magenta, though pink is commonest. I think people are often leery of them
because florist cyclamens so rarely bloom a second time, but these little
wild species are good even for novices. They are going to reward you for
years & years.

-paghat the ratgirl

Perhaps people have given florist cyclamens a bad reputation because they
think the plants are dead when blossoming is complete and the leaves die
back, a normal part of its growth cycle.

Cyclamens are reasonably easy to raise as house plants. There are a few
things to remember when raising them that keeps them blooming. They like a
cool, bright light window while growing and blooming and will often bloom
for at least three - four months if treated properly. They like a high humus
soil with peat moss in it. They thrive on regular fertilizing (every three
to four weeks) with a low nitrogen fertilizer such as Schultz's Bloom.They
should never be watered from the top because water on the tuber may cause it
to rot. Deadhead spent blossoms regularly by removing fading blossom by
grasping at the stem base and removing with a quick tug.

Once they complete their bloom cycle, which is usually in March, the leaves
begin turning yellow and hang down as if the plant is dying and the stems
become mushy, and by late spring there are few leaves left on the tuber.
Remove the rest of the old leaves and knock the tuber out of the pot and cut
it apart with a sharp knife, making sure there is growing area on each
piece. Plant each section in fresh soil (be sure to add peat moss) and begin
watering . Within a month or two new leaves begin growing, and with proper
care should begin flowering by the following December.

A large red flowering plant that was given to me as a Christmas gift was a
regular Christmas bloomer for over ten years and met its demise when I
moved.

John