Old 28-12-2003, 07:32 AM

Default What is the best substrate for a beginner

(Robert H) wrote in message . com...
I asked this question as a Poll on Wet Thumb, What substrate would you
recommend to a beginner? The choices are Flourite, Eco Complete,
Laterite and gravel, peat or soil, amd plain gravel.

So far the results are

Eco Complete 72%

Flourite 11% !!

gravel and laterite 6%

peat or soil 9%

plain gravel 11%

Agree or disagree? You can cast your vote he

http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.c...2&f=8796060812

I like Eco complete.
I like Flora base
I like Flourite
I like Onyx

Folks will have a rough time going wrong using any of these.
I'd still add a little peat and mulm to these substrates.

I do not like the notion that Flora base and Eco complete claim saying
that you do not need CO2 using their product.

I can say the same about any substrate but they indicate you will have
a great tank like if you added CO2 simply by using their product which
is simply not true.

Adding CO2 vs using their product is not the same.

CO2 can only be supplied for so long from any substrate without some
source of replinshment.

What goes in must come out.
That's the two box model. You cannot get away from that and
considering the volume of Carbon that plants have, the substrate will
not be able to supply the plant's carbon needs for long for the same
biomass produced in a CO2 enriched tank.

If CO2 from the substrate is the goal: soil substrates will beat
anything around, they have more carbon.

Regards,
Tom Barr