Old 28-12-2003, 09:42 AM
martin

Default Artificial Light

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:08:12 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"AndWhyNot" wrote in message
ws.com...
Hi All and Seasons Greetings,

A freind has a light emmiting device (Bioptron) for the treatment of
leg ulcers (and very successfully it is too)

Just wondering what it would do to my African Violets which are
looking a bit sad at the moment, or indeed any sad indoor plant.

The device does not appear to generate any significant 'heat' so wont
fry the violets .............. I hope

Any ideas???

**** The wavelength of BIOPTRON Light ranges from 480 nm to 3400 nm.
The BIOPTRON electromagnetic spectrum does not contain UV radiation
*****

If the wavelength limits you quote are correct, then your friend appears to
have fallen for a con trick. 480 nm is in the blue region, and the output
of the lamp is said to go from there, through the whole optical region all
the way to very far into the infra red.. That is in fact very much what an
ordinary light bulb does. Moreover, the 3400 nm wavelength is well into the
wavelength range of radiant heat. So, if as you say, there is not much heat
associated with it, there just is not much by way of radiation.

In short, your friend might as well use an ordinary light bulb, ( except for
possible psychological effects associated with the fancy name) and no, it
will not be of much use for your African Violets.

ah but it's incoherent polarised light! :-)

http://www.disabilityworld.com/co/company.php?ID=303

"BIOPTON - Visible Incoherent Polarised light. The world's top selling
medical light therapy system
Made in Switzland, Bioptron products emit NO UV AT ALL. Based on 20
years clinical research and development, Bioptron medical light
therapy has no side effects. Bioptron light at 400 - 20000 nanometres,
contains the full colour spectrum of natural daylight but the special
feature of bioptron medical light therapy is that all the light waves
have been reorganised to oscillate in parallel (by being passed
through a configuration of 5 thin mirrors). Known as Visible
Incoherent Polarised light, research in hungary some 20 years ago,
showned that VIP light promotes a process of bio-stimulation of tissue
and blood cells, general both a direct and systemic reactions.

In cells that are unhealthy, the polar heads in the cell membranes are
out of position - bio-stimulation activates cell metabolism to correct
this with natural endogenic healing anda boost to the immune system.
We are all made up of 70 trillion tissue and blood cells, so you can
achieve benefits whereever the therapy can be applied. Biotron acts
through our very cell biology and this explains why it is such an
evidently versatile therapy."

Do a google search there's pages of similar stuff.

I particularly liked the photo on this site
http://www.electrocrystal.com/ecrystal.html
--
Martin