Old 28-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Aphodius

Default Callicarpa berries, and Blackcaps

"Michael Berridge" wrote in a message:
Callicarpa don't require much space, mine is some 10 years old and is
just over 7' high, took about three year before it really started to
flower and set berries. This year is the first I've known that the birds
have taken the berries. Usually they hang around till March, then
shrivel and drop off.

Interesting! The birds take all the berries from my callicarpa long before
March each year. The two blackcap warblers guarded the berries right to the
last few and then left us for other gardens in the neighbourhood. My 18
years old callicarpa is also just over 7' with an equal spread. The one
fault I find with most callicarpas is that they have rather brittle branches
that easily snap when weeding underneath.

Aphodius