Old 28-12-2003, 06:14 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Some brown needles on 'picea omorika'

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:44:14 +0000, wrote:

Hi,

I've bought a "xmas tree" (picea omorika) to plant outside in my
garden from the garden centre today. It was the last one and I have
noticed it has some brown needsles on some of its branches. The man at
the garden centre said it was an ideal tree to plant in a north facing
garden like mine (but I dont know whether I beleive him or not).
I asked him about the brown needsles and he said it was just because
they'd not watered them enough BUT I noticed that the soin it was in
was soaking wet.

Will it be ok, or should I cut out the brown needles?
Will it be ok in a nothish facing garden with soil that has some clay
in it? (I do have a bag of peat i could use when I plant it out.

Thanks very much.

Can't offer expert advice, but I wouldn't cut out anything yet. Even
though the needles are brown, the stems themselves may well be still
alive and may shoot when the tree has settled in.

--
Chris