Old 28-12-2003, 06:37 PM
ken cohen

Default "The three sisters" method

Has anyone had any experience of trying this method, which apparently
was a North American Indian practice. I heard it described on a
gardening programme today as growing sweetcorn, runner beans and
courgettes/cucumbers/marrow together in the same bed to the benefit of
each. Apparently you start the sweetcorn off first, then when it has
gained a bit of height, you sow the runnerbeans, which then climb up
the sweetcorn, and then you sow your courgettes/cucumbers which can do
quite well in the environment thereby created for them.

I wonder if there are other examples of growing crops together for
mutual benefit?

Ken Cohen