Old 28-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Alan Gould

Default Forcing Rhubarb.

In article , Cumberpach
writes
A few of my crowns on the allotment are starting to sprout.
Looking in the seed catalogue, it makes ref to 'forcing' - not sure what
this means. Any help appreciated.

Forcing rhubarb generally means taking rhizome sections from dormant
plants around Nov/Dec. and potting them up. They are taken inside and
kept in the dark at about 10C/50F. They produce pale long stems very
early. Forced roots are discarded after cropping.

Many gardeners are commenting that outdoor rhubarb has already begun to
show new shoots, our own are doing it. That is not forcing in the
accepted sense, but it may mean that the plants will be more prone to
bolting this year.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.