Old 28-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Bevan Price

Default New Year - New Garden. Thoughts Appreciated

"Heather" wrote in message
Hi all

I posted here a few weeks ago saying I'd got a new garden. Now I'm at the
"planning what to do with it" stage and I'd appreciate any thoughts or
advice you might have on the following projects:

3. The anti-magnolia project

No, not that kind of magnolia. I like those.
The previous owners overdid the "house doctor" bit and have painted the
fibreglass edging of the LARGE (20'x 10') pond and the concrete path

edging
and the terracotta "brick" path edging (ALL over the garden) and even the
stones lining the "stream" that feeds the pond, with magnolia paint!!!
Judging by the amount they painted in the house I reckon they got onto
"autopaint" and just couldn't stop...... I think it's ordinary emulsion,
although it looks almost luminous in poor light and is doing the "natural"
look of the garden no favours at all - any ideas for removing it?

I hope you don't mind multiple questions in one message - I expect I'll
think of some more later..........

Seasons Greetings

Heather

If the paint has soaked into porous stone/plastic/concrete, removal could be
very difficult/expensive. Might be cheaper to discard the stones and replace
with new. You could try paint stripper chemicals or white spirit (read the
safety instructions on the container), but these chemicals are unlikely to
be friendly to nearby plants or soil. You might also try a hot flame burner
type of paint stripper, but NOT on plastics, and there is a risk of cracking
ceramics, etc. As a last resort, you could overpaint in a more suitable
colour.

Happy New Year

Bevan

--

Spamtrap in operation. To reply to me direct put out the bins. To save
yourself the trouble, reply to the Group.