Old 28-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default "The three sisters" method

The message
from (ken cohen) contains these words:

Has anyone had any experience of trying this method, which apparently
was a North American Indian practice. I heard it described on a
gardening programme today as growing sweetcorn, runner beans and
courgettes/cucumbers/marrow together in the same bed to the benefit of
each. Apparently you start the sweetcorn off first, then when it has
gained a bit of height, you sow the runnerbeans, which then climb up
the sweetcorn, and then you sow your courgettes/cucumbers which can do
quite well in the environment thereby created for them.

I wonder if there are other examples of growing crops together for
mutual benefit?

Might do well in a warmer climate, but you don't want to plant sweetcorn
out until May. By the time it has reached sufficient height to use as a
support for runners you will have missed half the season - likewise for
courgettes.

I plant out trailing marrows and runner beans in May, and grow them up
the same supports. I have grown cucumbers with them too.

You can usually utilise the ground beneath tall vegetables by sowing
radishes, spring onions, spinach etc.

You can plant garlic between rows of carrots and that is said to deter
carrot fly, but none of these is *MUTUALLY* advantageous.

--
Rusty Hinge

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)