Old 28-12-2003, 11:05 PM
Babberney

Default Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement? (getting fuel)

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 14:00:00 -0800, Jim Dauven
wrote:

Robert Sturgeon wrote:

When the seed is expressed for oil the oil recovery is about
10% by weight. So 1200 lbs of Rapeseed will yield 120 lbs
(20 gallons) of low quality diesel fuel. I suspect that through
fractional distillation we would probably get 18 gallons of
fuel per acre and 1 to 1.5 gallons of lubrication oil.

The distilled Rapeseed oil would also provide oil for lamps for
lighting.

So if we plant 100 acres of Rape seed we could expect to get
1800 gallons of high quality diesel fuel.

You seem to have only a partial picture of biodiesel. If produced by
adding methoxide to oil (any vegetable oil, tallow or lard--even waste
oil from restaurant fryers), you can get a realatively low-temp
reaction that yields biodiesel and glycerine. The glycerine can be
used as is in the shop as a degreaser/cleaner, or cleaned up and sold
as a high-quality cleanser. Methoxide is simply methanol (ethanol is
also viable, but less reliable from what I've read) and pure lye.

Biodiesel is cleaner than petrol, lubricates better (thus extends
engine life) and results in quieter operation of the motor. Both the
byproducts can be poured harmlessly on the ground, where they will
break down naturally.

Check out the biodiesel discussion here to learn mo
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751

It is becoming more and more practical to buy pre-made biodiesel that
can be poured directly into any diesel's fuel tank, but mostly in the
midwest where soy oil is produced in large volume. There (and some
other places), you can buy from a pump like any auto fuel, but most of
us have to manage to arrange some sort of storage tanks and have it
delivered in large quantities right now.

The big drawback to biodiesel is that it gels around 32* F. and clogs
filters. Solutions include a tank heater (still risk of clogging in
the lines themselves), an anti-gel product that can be added to teh
fuel, or mixing petro diesel with biodiesel to get a blend that can
stay viscous at lower temps. Even blends as low as 5% biodiesel
result in much better lubrication.

Check it out--this is the next wave, IMO. We just have to push it
past a congress and president who are in the pockets of the petroleum
industry.

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/