Old 29-12-2003, 12:34 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default Advice on creating a camomile lawn

The message
from (Michael Green) contains these words:

Advice or pointers to preparation and planting for a camomile or other
fragrant low traffic lawn please. Ta.

The most fragrant chamomile is the sterile one, Treneague; obviously
you can't grow it from seed, but very easily propagated by cuttings and
layers. It isn't a longlived or tough plant, and doesn't like severe
cold or prolonged wet, so keeping a dense green cover is difficult.
Whatever fanciful books pretend, in the UK I wouldn't plant it as a lawn
to be walked on like grass; imho it just isn't strong enough. I once
grew it in a big stone trough as a scented seat but found it a bit damp
and crushable for sitting on. Lovely to brush with your hand as you pass
by, or for tea.

Prince Charles has a famous scented patchwork path of different
coloured thymes at Highgrove, planted among paving so walkers don't have
to crush the thyme too much. If you look at one of the Highgrove books
in a shop, you're sure to find a picture of it.

Janet