Old 29-12-2003, 02:03 AM
JNJ

Default Winter update....

maybe he's going to take up lawn bowling...................lol

:-P

honey, a berm is a rise of soil like a little hill. It's not against the

law
to do that. Imagine an upward sloping hill with something backing it. It
wouldn't be any different than if you decided to take full advantage of
gardening by gardening UPWARDS as well as outwards and piled up the soil.
Same thing. And a berm also has the wonderful attributes of being not only

deterrment of water coming downwards, but of buffering

sound.............

LOL -- I know what a berm is, MG! I also know that if I were to make so
obvious a move as that he'd realize I was redirecting the runoff back over
to his property and start raising hell.

Good lord you have a small piece of woods yerself!! You need to come down
to Eastern Tennessee and buy some of the still cheap land on the south

side
of English Mountain (on the North Carolina side) where it's ALL woods and
chunk you out a clearing with a loooooooooooong driveway and mailbox to
indicate yer there, (or take out a post office box at yer local postal
office.......) then get yerself a double wide modular home (if you own the
property you're sitting it up on, it's cheaper) and Bob's yer uncle.

Heh -- find me an agent.

It already sounds like you have quite a little mini-woods going on for you
there...........

Yeah, but it's not enough yet to replace what he's taking out (what he's
taken out already for that matter)

I will see if any baby mimosa's pop up this spring and gently lift them

and
transplant them into a small pot and if they take, ship them to you later
on.

Thnx.

Quick, while you have the cold in your favor you need to sow those poppy
seeds on the ground so they'll chill and sprout for you and bloom. If you
wait until spring, they won't have the stratification or chill time to
germinate in time to give you a good blossoming.

I was waiting for a good snow to come along rather than getting them down
now. I didn't think they required very much cold stratification...?

Once I locate a willing person to come and remove those walnuts, I'll be

one
happy person. I have at least a bushel of walnuts I need picking up at the
back ledge of my house now that have blackened. If I was smart, I'd just
put them in the driveway and run over them, but I don't want all the tanic
acid washing into my flowerbeds near the driveway I share with the
bendejo....

Never a problem here -- the tree rats take care of all those for us. We
have 3 or 4 fruiting trees now and the squirrels STILL manage to clean
house.

Well I never got to the washing of doggie lumps, but on the plus side, I

was
able to pour another bag over the wires I laid down in the perennial box
Sugar destroyed to cover the root ball of the Mystic Merlin malvacea I
summered over in the pot sitting on a pine trunk stump. I still need to
pour the remaining two bags into the other bed she destroyed. Maybe if

it's
not pouring too bad I will do that tomorrow. Rain is predicted. It was so
beautiful today. I didn't even have to wear my jacket! I was also able to
chunk out a little more forsythia root, but it appears that I will need
something more insidious than a pick ax to get it out of the soil. More

like
a tractor or a chain with my truck pulling it...............

Well, I spent about THREE (3) hours cleaning up the front yard today. To
say the least, I washed a LOT of new fertilizer into the ground. One thing
that surprised me was the amount of new growth in the garden. Our Touch of
Class rose not only has leaves but it has a new sucker with buds and leaves
on it. The Lilacs have budded out, two other roses that were cut back to
the ground have sprouted new stems and leaves, and one Lilac (a rescue) has
several new stems coming up from the ground. I did not expect to see so
much new growth so late in the year -- usually, nothing grows out there
after about October. Testament to the mild temperatures we've been
having -- cold, but not cold enough apparently!

well co'mon then while the land in some places is still affordable. So

many
people are relocating here that land prices are going up, but there's

still
affordable places and it'll take hundreds upon thousands of people to ever
fill up these hills and hollers and ridges........................

Where?

James