Old 29-12-2003, 08:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default OT ~ Mad Moo Cow in SE WA

From "Janet":
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/National/
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/07/03/madcow_us030703
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...nal/TopStories

Wow, thanks Janet. Course they don't really say they knew much either. From
the last article, "While it is more likely the cow contracted BSE from a
Canadian source" I add, the rest of the article bascially said, there was
only a 5% chance it came from the US, and if so, was given feed prior to
the 1997 ban. Basically no evidence to claim it absolutely came from the
US.

The last article that I read on this after some snooping around the net
reports that the Canadian AG dept at the end of their extensive
investigation could only say with 95% certainty that the cow that tested
positive was Canadian born. They felt it was highly likely that the cow in
question came into Canada ( most likely as a fetus)during the mass
importation of the 25,000 head of pregnant females. It is now known that
those females were fed feed in the US that contained animal proteins...

So you're saying you got the impression from the articles it was the fetus
that picked up BSE from the mother eating infected feed? The fetus and
eventually calf/cow was the one they found infected? I must be
misunderstanding, because Canada only found 1 BSE cow, if the calf had it,
so would have the mother. Unless the calf was fed contaminated feed, which
it would have gotten in Canada if born there from the PG US cow. ???

I don't think they've yet to prove it transfers from cow to calf, my
understanding, so far, is they're fairly sure it does not. Hopefully we'll
should find something out regarding that, when they track down "Daisy's"
offspring and test them, since she obviously had BSE before birthing them.
In the meantime, I wish they'd find out where those other 73 Holstein cows
are. hurrumpt

Oh well.... just read in the paper today that even though we have banned
these cow parts as cattle feed, we still feed it to other livestock and
since all this feed is usually made in the same warehouses, a little
sloppiness and we end up with cattle eating cow brains. Honestly, I sure
hope they fix this. I think I'm going to go organic until than. ~ jan