Old 29-12-2003, 12:33 PM

Default Forcing Rhubarb.

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
: In article , Cumberpach
: writes
: A few of my crowns on the allotment are starting to sprout.
: Looking in the seed catalogue, it makes ref to 'forcing' - not sure what
: this means. Any help appreciated.
:
: Forcing rhubarb generally means taking rhizome sections from dormant
: plants around Nov/Dec. and potting them up. They are taken inside and
: kept in the dark at about 10C/50F. They produce pale long stems very
: early. Forced roots are discarded after cropping.
:
: Many gardeners are commenting that outdoor rhubarb has already begun to
: show new shoots, our own are doing it. That is not forcing in the
: accepted sense, but it may mean that the plants will be more prone to
: bolting this year.
: --
: Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

How late can rhubarb be planted and what varieties would urglers recommend?
I have room for only one crown.