Old 29-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Sue Walsh

Default Frogs Dying in Skimmer

I have a Savio Skimmer and this fall we have lost 3 frogs to being
chewed up in the pump after entering the skimmer. They get over the
top of the divider from the basket side into the pump side and are
pulled in and chopped up. It's a nightmare having to remove
them(still alive)and crush them with a rock to end their misery.
Anyone else have this problem or any ideas of how to keep them out of
there. Since it's a leaf skimmer I can't block the entryway, but
maybe there is a way to keep them from the pump side. I thought they
went thru the handle of the basket, but I have blocked that with
screening and now have seen one sitting on top of the basket when I
opened the skimmer, so that's not enough. Also the most recient one
was in one of the ports for the UV lights and there is no way to get
it out. I dread opening the skimmer to clean the filter for fear I
will chase him into the pump side and he will have the fate of the
other 3. Any ideas?

Sue W
Brooksville FL

See my pond 'Rippling Waters' at