Old 29-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Something's been eating my cabbages!!!

"MCC" wrote in message :
I just got back from the Xmas break and found the tiny baby cabbages I

spaced out
around a month ago have mostly been munched. Some are saveable, I think.

My guess is
the culprits are slugs or snails, but I can't find a single one!

This is the first year I've grown cabbage and only the second year I've

grown
anything. What should I do to save what remains, please? Will a squirt

of dilute
detergent do the trick, as it did with aphids in the summer? Is it any

good to go out
there with a torch at night and hunt doen the varmints by hand? (It's

jolly cold out
there tonight!!)

Thanks for your help and advice,

Maybe pigeons?
--

Very likely, too cold for much else to be about other than Rabbits. Do the
plants show just the ribs of the leaves with all the soft green connecting

If so it's pigeons. Get together all those unused AOL Cd-roms etc, tie them
to yard long pieces of string and hang them off poles pushed into the soil
at an angle so the discs flash in the wind. Also add some upturned light
plastic bottles over canes so they rattle and flash.
Works for us.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
354 data units completed.