Old 30-12-2003, 04:32 AM
Janet

Default OT ~ Mad Moo Cow in SE WA

I was just reading an article that was stating all the loopholes the animal
protein ban in feed. Calves are routinely fed milk replacer that is made
from cattle blood here
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...industryatrisk
I didn't even know that was available! We only ever fed out one calf and it
was with a soy based milk replacer. \ Ingrid you are full of all kind of
interesting tidbits aren't you! D
Janet

wrote in message
blood can transmit prions, so during birth there is that possibility as

the placenta
separates. however, calves dont nurse long on dairy cows, and they are

saying this
cow was born before the ban. still no evidence it is transmitted in milk.

Ingrid

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
So you're saying you got the impression from the articles it was the

fetus
that picked up BSE from the mother eating infected feed? The fetus and
eventually calf/cow was the one they found infected? I must be
misunderstanding, because Canada only found 1 BSE cow, if the calf had

it,
so would have the mother. Unless the calf was fed contaminated feed,

which
it would have gotten in Canada if born there from the PG US cow. ???

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.