Old 30-12-2003, 06:04 AM
Tom La Bron

Default OT ~ Mad Moo Cow in SE WA

Jan,

It is so interesting that you said what Ingrid said is good enough for you.
If you would have read the article at the URL you would have seen that there
is no indication that it is transferable to offspring. The whole article
was filled with maybes and possibilities and supposition and very little
fact, except, of course, the part where hamsters that had MCD injected in
their brains had it showed up in their tongues.

What was it that P.T Barnum said, "....!?" ;-)

Tom L.L.

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Well Janet, you aren't gonna appreciate the latest news. They're
(newspaper) saying since they've (USDA, I assume) figured out this
"Holstein" cow came out of Canada that we can still consider the US

disease
free. That importing nations should (trust in us) open their borders to

our
beef. IMO, if I was an import nation I'd be saying, "I don't think so,
bub!" I want to know where those 73 other cows are (that came in with
Daisy) that they've yet to track down! I'm not eating any beef till I

know,
and I want them all tested to see if Daisy was (most likely) a singular
incident (as they are also claiming).

As far as head in the manure, I sure hope they're paying attention to the
rancher who may have to kill all 400 calves because he didn't tag them.
Seems one of Daisy's offspring is among them, but they don't know which
one. I can't imagine running a business like that, not knowing where your
critters come from. Thank goodness our government will compensate these
people, since it is they who make and decide on the rules. Time to kick

the
Cattlemen's ASSociation in the rump roast if you ask me. ~ jan
Zone 7a

This is exactly our point up here in Canada Jan.... WHen it happened to

us
the US AG dept was all over it spouting the "risks". Now that it's on US
soil its nothing to worry about. As for your microchip comment you don't
know how true that is!!! Here in Canada a cattle health registry was

formed
demanded that any country that wanted to export to the EU must have one

in
place. What this means that in our case here in Canada when an animal

leaves
its farm of origin it must be tagged with a registry tag. The tags can

only
be bought from authorized dealers and they contain a barcode. When the

tag
is put on an animal a stack of paperwork must be filled out with a

history
on the animal. That tag stays with the animal right to the packer. If

there
is a problem it can quickly and accurately be traced through the system.

No
animal can move through an auction or sale without a tag.
Now the US does not have any such program in place. This is due to the
lobbying of the US Cattlemens Assoc. They have been stalling this for at
least 5 years, if not longer. The EU keeps giving the US an extension

based
on the bogus word of the Cattlemens Assoc saying that they are "working"

on
it. The Canadian program has offered to go down to the US, offered it's
research into tag life, offered it's tracking software... Even gone so

far
as to offer to set the damn program up from start to finish and the US
Cattlemen have refused! Why?? Stubborness (sp?) is my best bet. They are
holding on to a century old way of thinking that they know what's best

for
the industry, all the while burying their collective heads in the manure
pile...
Janet