Old 30-12-2003, 06:32 AM
B & J

Default The Christmas Possum?

Frogleg" wrote in message

While it hasn't been *terrifically* cold here, this day was warmer
than most -- about 60F (and raining) at dawn. While I had no desire to
keep it as a pet, I hope it went safely back to its burrow. Or
whatever.

Although seeing animals as road kill isn't pleasurable, there isn't too much
concern about opossums become an endangered species. Female possums have up
to three litters of young per year with an average of 8-9 offspring per
litter, and thirteen young in one litter is not uncommon. The male, while
searching for a mate, is the most common road kill, while females, burdened
with young, are often killed by dogs when they're searching early and late
for food.

John