Old 30-12-2003, 06:42 AM

Default OT ~ Mad Moo Cow in SE WA

I now stand corrected, my apologies..

Tim

"Janet" wrote in message
Jan I've pulled up a couple os stories that ran but the news service

stories
don't seem to be archived. Here's the links..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...oww0703/BNStor
y/National/
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/07/03/madcow_us030703

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../20030704/UCOW
WN/TPNational/TopStories
The last article that I read on this after some snooping around the net
reports that the Canadian AG dept at the end of their extensive
investigation could only say with 95% certainty that the cow that tested
positive was Canadian born. They felt it was highly likely that the cow in
question came into Canada ( most likely as a fetus)during the mass
importation of the 25,000 head of pregnant females. It is now known that
those females were fed feed in the US that contained animal proteins...
Janet

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Tim Wrote:
far as the US being BSE free, people must remeber the one that was

found
in
Canada originated from the US which was proven beyond a shadow of

doubt...
But then again, it doesn't happen here in the US of A does it??

Truth be told, I can't remember that, probably because it never got to

our
newspapers, ya think? Wonder who held that news up? If it did, it

probably
said, the cow got it (BSE) after it entered Canada. There isn't a story
on-line regarding that somewhere is there? I'd like to send it to my

local
paper. ~ jan

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:47:46 GMT, "T" wrote:

Common sense does not seem to be to common.. You would think to insure

the
integrity of the heard they would leave the tags alone and use another

tag
along side of it... The problem with not knowing where Daisy came from

is
going to be an intresting case ( like I mentioned at the bottom of the
thread ). Not trying to point fingers, but when there is a removal of

the
takes it defianatly upsets the apple cart, making things a lot harder

prove and yes, much more expensive to the tax payer in eithier

country..
As
far as the US being BSE free, people must remeber the one that was

found
in
Canada originated from the US which was proven beyond a shadow of

doubt...
But then again, it doesn't happen here in the US of A does it??

Tim..
-
"Janet" wrote in message
.. .
I was just reading that Jan... Up here we are getting that our

Canadian
AG Dept. is not sure that the tag in question belonged to "Daisy".

The
information doesn't match. According to the tag she was supposed to

be
6
but
the US AG dept is saying that she was only 4 or 4 /12 (and standing

by
that
"fact"). DNA testing is now being done to try to verify "Daisy's"
identity.
Now that leaves a real dilemma doesn't it !?! That would mean at

least
2
more of her calves are out there somewhere if she does prove to be 6!
Apparently our media is reporting that it's common practice for tags

be
removed (contrary to our law) when cattle cross the border from

Canada
into
the US. This is why the tag is in question. American ranchers and

dairies
remove them to insert their own herd id. Apparently from what our

media
is
reporting that the dairy kept the tags of the imported cattle but

took
them
out and put them back in when either shipping them back to Canada or
sending
to slaughter! O It's looking like he didn't get the right tag back

in
possibly... The problem arises in a case like this and when millions

of
animals a year are moving across the border and back again....

I am of the opinion that the US Cattlemens Assoc doesn't give a

rat's
ass
for the little guy with a herd of a couple dozen grazing his back 20.

They
have planted themselves firmly in the pockets of the big 3 packers

that
control everything.... You'd be surprised Jan and how most ranchers
operate.
Many seem to be firmly planted in running the ranch like

great-grandpappy
did. O They feel if it was good enough for him it's good enough for

YOU
eat! Needless to say when one mentions the way beef cattle are moved

several farms often in 2 seperate countries over their short lives

(less
than 2 years in most cases) and what that can mean if there is a

disease
outbreak they laugh and say "It ain't gonna happen here"..... I guess

it
did
huh?
Janet

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Well Janet, you aren't gonna appreciate the latest news. They're
(newspaper) saying since they've (USDA, I assume) figured out this
"Holstein" cow came out of Canada that we can still consider the US
disease
free. That importing nations should (trust in us) open their

borders
our
beef. IMO, if I was an import nation I'd be saying, "I don't think

so,
bub!" I want to know where those 73 other cows are (that came in

with
Daisy) that they've yet to track down! I'm not eating any beef till

know,
and I want them all tested to see if Daisy was (most likely) a

singular
incident (as they are also claiming).

As far as head in the manure, I sure hope they're paying attention

the
rancher who may have to kill all 400 calves because he didn't tag

them.
Seems one of Daisy's offspring is among them, but they don't know

which
one. I can't imagine running a business like that, not knowing

where
your
critters come from. Thank goodness our government will compensate

these
people, since it is they who make and decide on the rules. Time to

kick
the
Cattlemen's ASSociation in the rump roast if you ask me. ~ jan
Zone 7a

This is exactly our point up here in Canada Jan.... WHen it

happened
us
the US AG dept was all over it spouting the "risks". Now that it's

on
US
soil its nothing to worry about. As for your microchip comment

you
don't
know how true that is!!! Here in Canada a cattle health registry

was
formed

the
EU
demanded that any country that wanted to export to the EU must

have
one
in
place. What this means that in our case here in Canada when an

animal
leaves
its farm of origin it must be tagged with a registry tag. The tags

can
only
be bought from authorized dealers and they contain a barcode. When

the
tag
is put on an animal a stack of paperwork must be filled out with a
history
on the animal. That tag stays with the animal right to the packer.

If
there
is a problem it can quickly and accurately be traced through the
system.
No
animal can move through an auction or sale without a tag.
Now the US does not have any such program in place. This is due

the
lobbying of the US Cattlemens Assoc. They have been stalling this

for
at
least 5 years, if not longer. The EU keeps giving the US an

extension
based
on the bogus word of the Cattlemens Assoc saying that they are
"working"
on
it. The Canadian program has offered to go down to the US, offered

it's
research into tag life, offered it's tracking software... Even

gone
so
far
as to offer to set the damn program up from start to finish and

the
US
Cattlemen have refused! Why?? Stubborness (sp?) is my best bet.

They
are
holding on to a century old way of thinking that they know what's

best
for
the industry, all the while burying their collective heads in the
manure
pile...
Janet