Old 30-12-2003, 06:45 AM
AndWhyNot

Default Pruning a walnut tree

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:43:29 +0000 (UTC), "anton"
wrote:

Daniel wrote in message ...
About 10 years ago I put a small walnut tree in the garden and 2 years
later pruned it to shape with 3 almost equally spaced uprights from
chest height.
For the last couple of years it's had a couple of hundred walnuts each
summer (and a couple of squirrels...)
I now wish to prune it again to give this larger tree a more
diffinitive shape and less shade to surrounding areas.
At about 12 feet from the ground the branches are about 1 1/2" thick
and where they fork, I was thinking of cutting them leaving an upward
or sidewards bud or shoot.
Is it OK to do so at this time of year and anything I should watch out
for?

RHS book advice is prune in August & paint.

And search out a recipe to pickle the walnuts for Xmas ...........
Yummy