Old 30-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Robert H

Default What is the best substrate for a beginner

I do not like the notion that Flora base and Eco complete claim saying
that you do not need CO2 using their product.

You must be thinking of Florabase, I know nothing about Florabase, but
Eco Complete makes no such claim about C02

"Eco complete is new...untested"

It is still fairly new, its been out about a year now. And lots of
people are using it...several AGA contest winners

One of the most favorite and simplest reasons why people like this
over Flourite is it requires no rinsing. No dust whatsoever.

Here is what they DO claim:

Contains over 25 minerals and nutrients

Is pH neutral, will not raise hardness or ph

All natural, no dyes

Is pre packed in two layers, a fine layer for the bottom and a course
layer for the top (bi-modal grading automaticaly separates into two
distinc layers no matter how you dump it in the tank) Fine layer for
root development, course layer which brings oxygen and nutrients to
the roots

Is packed in Liquid Amazon Black water

Contains live heterotrophic bacteria

If someone like Tom wants the details, here it is

iron 41,625.02 ppm
magnesium 23, 116.30 ppm
calcium 33, 065.61 ppm
potassium 5,296.37 ppm
zinc 77.78 ppm
sulfur 360.81 ppm
Manganese 975.71 ppm
sodium 12,910.97 ppm
aluminum 43,152.08 ppm
silicon 4,498.92 ppm
chromium 49.76 ppm
cobalt 33.41 ppm
barium 336.91 ppm
strontium 278.09 ppm
nickel 32.80 ppm
titanium 4,486.78 ppm
vanadium 239.01 ppm
lithium 8.37 ppm
boron 2.26 ppm
cadium1.61 ppm

Flourite contains:

Iron
thats it.

Cost is not that much more than Flourite.

But, I still use Flourite in some tanks. So, if you are a Flourite
fan, come vote for it! It needs your vote!

Robert Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com