Old 30-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default "The three sisters" method

In article ,
Frogleg wrote:
On 28 Dec 2003 10:32:40 -0800, (ken cohen)
wrote:

Has anyone had any experience of trying this method, which apparently
was a North American Indian practice. I heard it described on a
gardening programme today as growing sweetcorn, runner beans and
courgettes/cucumbers/marrow together in the same bed to the benefit of
each. Apparently you start the sweetcorn off first, then when it has
gained a bit of height, you sow the runnerbeans, which then climb up
the sweetcorn, and then you sow your courgettes/cucumbers which can do
quite well in the environment thereby created for them.

I wonder if there are other examples of growing crops together for
mutual benefit?

Corn & beans together are a common practice here (USA), for obvious
reasons. The corn stalk provides a 'trellis' for beans, which don't
strangle the fast-growing corn. I don't see where squash and cucumbers
come into it. Perhaps vining cucumbers? Although the fruit is a lot
heavier than that of a bean vine. Squash requires a lot more area
(and sun) than could be found at the bottom of corn stalks.

Ahhh. I think I see the light. Corn, beans (dried), and squash are
staples of Native American growing and eating. Corn & beans together
make a complete protein, and squash can't hurt. :-) Beans are
nitrogen-fixing plants, and corn likes nitrogen to nourish all those
leaves. Squash may do well in soil last used for beans, but unlikely
to do well in the shade of corn plants.

No, it's not that. Firstly, it is French beans, not runner - the latter
need much more water than squash or maize to do well and would strangle
maize. Secondly, it IS the shade that is the benefit.

In countries with an abundance of sunshine and a lack of water (e.g.
much of the south western USA, but NOT the UK), the squash gains from
a bit of shade and the maize gains from having its roots shaded. The
beans are probably just a bonus.

The point is that squash isn't limited by sun under those conditions,
but by water to its roots. And it doesn't use most of the water that
falls away from its roots in the area shaded by its leaves. Maize is
similarly limited by water, but casts a light shade if planted fairly
sparsely. Ditto French beans.

All totally inapplicable to the UK, though you can grow squash under
other plants.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.