Old 30-12-2003, 04:32 PM

Default Having steep sides on a pond?

I too built a pond in sand and had to remove the whole thing and go with concrete
blocks http://puregold.aquaria.net/hopepond/page1/pp1.htm
the second, smaller pond I used wood and studs
http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/2000/p2000.htm
when using blocks, I used aluminum conduit and filled the blocks and packed the
sand/dirt in them. one of the ponds is only 3 feet deep, but there is a wide shelf
18 inches, the other pond is 5 feet deep and there are wide shelves on both sides.
my newest pond is 4 feet deep and there is a single step to get into the pond.
I tried "rug" and tossed that after the first disaster and went with foam padding
like used for carpets. it is cheap, it doesnt degrade. even now when I step into my
pond built 10 years ago if feel the foam cushioning.
forget the sand. use foam padding.
Ingrid

(Han Chung) wrote:
1. Will the steep sides be a problem and cause too much pressure on
the pond liner? The sides are a sandy/soily material while the bottom
of both the shallow and deep ends are sandstone. I'm planning to get
the Firestone 45mil pond liner.

2. With the bottom of the pond being sandstone, will this cause any
problems? How thick a layer of sand would you recommend lining the
hole with before putting in the pond liner?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.