Old 30-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Janet

Default OT ~ Mad Moo Cow in SE WA

Well Ingrid after doing some more digging and talking to my former feed
rep., yes it's widely available both here in Canada and in the US. It's
about $15 a bag cheaper than the soy based milk replacer ($40 a bag). It's
widely used for economic reasons... Damn, this is getting scarier almost by
the minute.... I always knew there was another reason why I refuse to eat
veal!
Janet

wrote in message
well shit... I didnt know they used blood in milk replacer. My farm

experience is
summers on my grandparents farm. but I am sure IF they used it they didnt

know what
was in it. Kosher laws are looking better and better. Ingrid

"Janet" wrote:
I was just reading an article that was stating all the loopholes the

animal
protein ban in feed. Calves are routinely fed milk replacer that is made
from cattle blood here

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...e=1&u=/usatoda

y/20031229/cm_usatoday/laxrulesandtestingputpubliccattleindustryatrisk
I didn't even know that was available! We only ever fed out one calf and

it
was with a soy based milk replacer. \ Ingrid you are full of all kind

of
interesting tidbits aren't you! D
Janet

wrote in message
blood can transmit prions, so during birth there is that possibility as

the placenta
separates. however, calves dont nurse long on dairy cows, and they are

saying this
cow was born before the ban. still no evidence it is transmitted in

milk.
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/