Old 30-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Gabrielle

Default Cold question

Hal wrote:

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:33:02 -0700, Gabrielle wrote:

Someone told him that running water is warmer than still water, so he's
been running his waterfall 24-7. This doesn't sound right to me, I think
running water is cooler. I've googled and asked Jeeves, but haven't come
up with a quick answer.

I think he'd be fine leaving it off at night, which is what he'd like to
do, especially since he does have a bubbler running separately.

The reason water running through pipes doesn't freeze is because the
water coming out of the ground to the pipes is warmer than freezing
temperatures. Still pond water will have warm spots, but running the
pond pump, water will tend to be uniformly cooler because of the
circulation. There is more usable oxygen availiable in cooler water
and unless he has a freezing problem or overstocked pond there is no
reason he has to run anything in the winter if he wants to shut it
down. Ponders up North keep a bubbler to allow gases to escape
through the hole in the ice. I have a bubbler because I'm too lazy
to change it and just let it run. I also allow the pump to circulate
the water all the time because I don't have to change it.
Zone 8 Georgia lows in the 20's highs in the 60's ready for Spring.
Water temperature, warm enough the fish are still eating. I have to
get my hand wet to read the actual temperature.

Today was ten hours and three minutes. Three minutes longer than
yesterday. I'm ready for Spring.

Regards,

Hal

Thanks for the lucid explanation. I'll pass it on to my friend.

I leave my little waterfall running all year, because it links the
veggie filter and pond, and my fish & turtles are fine. But Robert is as
worried as a new mother. :-)

Gabrielle, also ready for Spring, but not Summer