Old 30-12-2003, 06:33 PM
paghat

Default advice from the group.

In article ,
(RESPITE95) wrote:

Heres the deal. I live in the sticks, west central Alabama on some land that
fronts a county road. For the past 15 years my house has been screened by
pines I planted in three close rows across about 700 feet of road front,

I like
it that way. About a month ago the county road crew came by and stripped all
the limbs off my trees with a bushhog. The trees looked so bad I cut them all
down, all three hundred of them. Now I have bare ground in full sun

between my
house and the county road. By the way, I would have had to cut the trees

in the
near future anyway because they were beginning to touch the power lines

above.
So now I have this 700 ft by 30 ft space that will need planting this spring.
I am looking for low care, dry hardy, small to medium size plants that I can
afford and lots of them. Any suggestions? GCS

Hawthorn trees -- the pink-flowering ones would take forever reaching the
wires & might never get quite that tall, but grow rapidly at first to
restore a screen. Drought hardy once established so takes no attention.

Or:

Portugal cherry (Prunus lusitanica), a medium-sized cherry tree but with
evergreen leaves. Very drought hardy & sun-loving for a no-maintenance
streetside.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: