Old 30-12-2003, 06:33 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Too cold in Miami??

I'd like to add, to think about what kind of bio-filtration you've got
going on before feeding. In FL or S.CA climates where your pond and filter
can/should run year around, probably no problem. ~ jan

On 30 Dec 2003 10:55:12 -0600, "Lee B." wrote:

Yeh to what Ingrid said! My pond's back up to 60*; I feed them sparingly
once a day (they make me feel guilty o'wise!). When it's in the high 50's,
I feed them sparingly every other or third day. Below 55 or so, they're on
their own until the water temp rises again and looks like it will stay there
for a few days at least. Fish only have rudimentary "stomachs"; most of
their digestion takes place in their intestinal tract. When it's cold, it
doesn't work so good; if the food stays there long enough, it rots (which is
not good for the fish!). Make sure that it has enough time to work its way
out! If a cold front is due within 72 hours that will significantly impact
the water temp, I don't feed.

Have a safe and happy New Year!

Lee

"Sue Walsh" wrote in message
. com...
"Lee B." wrote in message

.. .
It will be in the 70's all week (air temp), and the pond water temp got

back
up to 55* yesterday and is still climbing. Happy Holidays!
Lee

Hi Lee,
Since this is my first winter with the pond Laura built me, I'm not
sure about feeding. I know not to feed with water temps 50* or lower,
but what about when we get weather like this and my pond has warmed to
58*, with a forecast of a good week ahead, do I feed them again? Or
just leave them alone. Remember I only have goldfish, not koi like
you. I haven't feed them since our first frost a few weeks ago. Have
a great New Years!

Sue W
Brooksville FL

See my pond "Rippling Water" at