Old 30-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Tumbleweed

Default Ivy Roots - Help

"Tiger303" wrote in message
s.com...
moved in october to a new house and finally got round to emptying the
garden of mainly ivy growing over 3ft high walls.

the issue is the roots have grown in three seperate places underneath
walls (some of which ajoin neighbours garden) and i can't comnpltely
remove them. I've cut down as much as i can reach, but as i'm not going
to get round to putting raised beds over these remaining roots for a
month or so and i'm wondering what the best way is to stop the roots
from re-growing both now and for good.

i want to avoid putting down poison as it may damage an old beautiful
plum tree which was the only thing worth saving so any advice would be
greatly appreciated. if u need any more info just ask, cheers
--
Tiger303

Spray (or paint gel) glyphosphate ( trade name often sold as Tumbleweed :-)
on any leaves that come up. After a few months it will die.

I dug up a pretty large ivy last year ( several 1.5 to 2 inch diameter
trunks, many 0.5 to 1 inch)) , and most of the roots down to about 4 of 5
inches, but new shoots were coming up from remnants of roots, 2 or 3 months
of spraying the new shoots everytime I saw them finished it off.

As long as glyphosphate doesn't touch the leaves of your plum you'll be
fine, its inactivated immediately in soil.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)