Old 31-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Dan Drake

Default Dosing plants with NPK home compunds

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:31:44 UTC, "Amit" wrote:

And Iron 1% (EDTA) Which I doubt will have any effect, Since it is not
chelated

Actually, iron EDTA _is_ chelated. EDTA is a powerful and widely used
chelating agent. However, if you run an iron test, you won't detect any!
EDTA binds the iron so tightly that standard simple tests can't see it.
The plants will get it, though (I believe).

Supplements made for aquaria seem to use the weaker chelating agent HEDTA,
which keeps the iron from precipitating but doesn't frustrate the test
kits.

The liquid is made of:
NPK all 7%
I still need to look for KNO3 and other 'hydroponics' related compounds.
Does anyone have any good experience with NPK home compounds ???

You can make your own NPK and trace element solutions, and I do, from
chemicals available at any chemical supply house. And then you'll know
exactly what you're dosing the plants with. But it's expensive and hardly
worth the trouble unless you have geeky ideas of what's fun. Worse, the
moment you buy anything from a chemical supply house, your name will go
into a government terrorist database (parse that phrase as you wish to)
even if they consent to sell to you, which is increasingly unlikely,
especially for anything-nitrate. Unless you're already in the database,
you probably don't want to do this.

--
Dan Drake

http://www.dandrake.com