Old 31-12-2003, 12:34 AM
Sacha

Default Boundary crossing deterrents(was tree cat damage)

Steve Harris30/12/03 9:00

In article ,
(Bigjon) wrote:

It is not legal in the UK to use anything on a property boundary line
to a public highway or right of way that could injure a person -
regardless of any motivation for crossing it. Local bye-laws may also
prohibit the use of deterents on party boundaries as well...

Tell that to our local council! A lot of their premises have spiky
fences, etc. Or a well known government establishment in Cheltenham
which has razor wire to stop the employees getting out :-)

Surely the restriction is that your boundary shouldn't injure the user
of the right of way using it as such?

I think you're right, however unlikely such a crossing might seem. In my
last house, I cut down a high and horrible leylandii hedge which had pushed
a low, single skin, brick wall and some railings out of shape quite badly. I
repaired the brick wall with a double skin (into the hollow of which I
planted all sorts of nice things) and replaced the iron railings with new
ones. The originals were spiked. I was not allowed to replace them with the
same style - both the blacksmith and a health and safety bod told me that.
The finials (if that's the correct word) had to be blunted, round shapes at
the top of each upright. No shishkebabbed Devon passers by for me! ;-)

--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)