Old 31-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Ray

Default Humidity!

Claude,

The same applies to S/H pots effect on humidity as it does for trays - they
are adding some humidity, but you're in effect, humidifying the entire room
and home or apartment. In other words, the effect is minimal. Minimal plus
minimal is still minimal.

I suppose that a phalaenopsis with its leaves spread out flat over the
medium are seeing a localized boost in RH, but as little as a few inches
above the medium and the effect pretty much vanishes.

Two more comments:

1. How are your plants doing? If the answer is "well," then don't
fret. If the answer isn't that positive,
2. Consider getting a console humidifier with sufficient capacity to
raise the RH to somewhere in the 50% - 60% range. Not only will your plants
like it, but you will, as well.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Claude" wrote in message
.. .
Thank you everyone!

I must say that I grow all my plant in S/H culture and I`m wondering if
humidity is an issue with that method of culture.

My pots are on wooden shelve with fluorescent light. During the day, the
humidity goes aroud 40 to 45 % and at night goes up to 55 %.
Should I be concerned? Should I put all my pots on trays with water

knowing
they are already in S/H culture????

Thanks

Claude